There was a time in our lives when we couldn’t go long without quoting ’80s essential Dirty Dancing. That time is…still now. There is no situation where “I carried a watermelon” is inappropriate. We have more stuff with “Nobody puts Baby in a corner” than we do our college logo. We’ve maybe said, “Go back to your play pen, Baby!” when we’re feeling less than charitable.
We were going to pick our top five lines, but that proved too difficult. (How could we leave off “Where is my beige iridescent lipstick?”) Here are the eight most beloved quotes from Baby, Johnny, and Penny that make us laugh, cry, and swoon.
8. “Where is my beige iridescent lipstick?”
7. “You just put your pickle on everybody’s plate, college boy, and leave the hard stuff to me.”
6. “It’s not the mambo. It’s a feeling; a heartbeat.”
5. “Oh, come on, ladies. God wouldn’t have given you maracas if He didn’t want you to shake ’em!”
4. “Look, spaghetti arms. This is my dance space. This is your dance space. I don’t go into yours, you don’t go into mine. You gotta hold the frame.”
3. “Me? I’m scared of everything. I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.”
2. “I carried a watermelon.”
1. “Nobody puts baby in a corner.”
Need to do a rewatch to rank your favorites? Watch Dirty Dancing free on Tubi TV.